Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Year Of Change

                 The new year is already into it's third month, where has the time gone?
As I do every New Years I evaluate where I am at and where I'm going in all aspects of my life and the theme for this year seems to be "a Year Of Change". How so you may ask,  the biggest change is the fact that my youngest is graduating high school in May. With that comes the choosing of colleges, figuring out how to pay for college and all the stuff that goes with that. The choosing has been done, he will be attending Grand Valley State University in Allendale, MI in the fall. He has done really well in high school (time for dad to brag a little he is graduating #14 in a class of around 230 and has a GPA of 4.09). Pretty proud of my son he has worked hard to get where he is at and I know he will continue to do well @ GVSU. Along with him going to GVSU Vicki and I become empty nesters, I'm not really sure how to feel about that. I am excited for Sean as he moves on to the next phase of his life and I am excited for Vicki and myself as we move into a different phase of our life also. No more having to wait on the school schedule to plan vacations or work schedules if we want to do something on the weekend. But, along with the excitement comes a feeling of oh I don't know wistfulness maybe. We have been married for 27 years and for 24.5 of those years we have had children around it's just going to be different I guess.

             One of the other changes that is going to happen is the fact that I am stepping out of working with the youth at the church I attend. I have been involved with the youth group basically since it was started when my daughter was in 7th grade something like 12 or 13 years. As much as I enjoy hanging with the kids and I know I will miss working with them it is just time, time to let someone else have the blessing of getting to know and guide that group of young people.

            Something that is not going to change is my involvement in the Highland Games, I have a full schedule planned for this year and I'm looking for some improvement in several events. Last year I several of my goals but not all of them so I wasn't really happy with the overall season. I am ready to go right now time to start throwing my body is saying, have you looked outside? my mind says. We still have 3 or 4 feet of snow and it is time for it to leave!! My buddies and myself want to start throwing heavy stuff and flipping trees. Last year we were throwing outside the 2nd week of march and it was 80 degrees, this year so far the best it's been is 42 degrees (today) and way to much snow still on the ground. All I know is Alma is coming and I don't have time for this stupid snow to stick around.  Enough of the rant, I enjoy everything about the Highland Games, the training, the people, the gear and the festivals we perform at. Most importantly is the people I have met a group of men and women in this sport (both as competitors and family/fans) that are truly a great big family, we keep in touch in the off season, worry about each other and rejoice with each other. It is truly an honor to take the field and compete with these people.

              Well that's it for now so long ad God Bless,  Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment